What we are reading
We love to read!
‘The more you read the more you’ll know, the more you learn the more places you’ll go.’
Reading is at the heart of all we do in the classroom and around school. At Strelley we will:
- Implement an approach in the Early Years and beginning of Key Stage One that:
- Focuses on the early building blocks for reading.
- Supports language and vocabulary development
- Recognises the importance of decoding
- Is led by a Phonics leader who supports, advises, and assesses the impact of the phonics teaching.
- Use a systematic approach to early reading across the whole school.
- Create an atmosphere across the whole school that:
- Develops a love of reading
- Promotes a talk-rich, book-based environment to support the ability to understand words and grammar, to use imagination and to develop speech.
- Develops reading for understanding.